Sunday, August 29, 2010

Insert deep breath...

Well Friday rolled around and I took a deep breath after realizing I survived my first official week of school! I think I learned more in the first week than I did in 4 1/2 years of college :) I saw quite a few of my kiddos, didn't get to see all of them because with our scheduling we have to be in 2 different places at once.

I have around 38 kids (this will change after some more testing) and they range in age from 5-19 and range from non-verbal, very low cognitive level to verbal and able to participate in PE sometimes. I have kids in wheelchairs, kids with braces on their legs, kids that wear helmets, and kids that will take a swing at you. I have kids who love movement and even though they are non-verbal, when they sit on the scooter they smile and make noises and look at you in a way that makes you feel like a million bucks.

Everyday is different...oh so different. Things that work on Tuesday with a kid probably won't work on Thursday. We plan, but about 90% of the time that plan will change. Overall, I would say I'm loving it. I love the creative part of my job. I said coming out of school I wanted to teach and coach. Well I'm teaching and will probably help coach the Special Olympics. Not exactly in the side of education I thought, but then again, if you want to hear God laugh tell him your plans.

This week will be baptism by fire week. I have 5 meetings and thus starts my interaction with parents. Of course the first 2 have to be the ones that everyone says, be warned, these are tough ones. Might as well jump in and hit the ground running! Here's to week 2 of school :)

1 comment:

aunteem said...

So nice to hear about what all is going on! Really glad you get to see my girl this weekend!